A China Cabinet of My Very Own!

Painted Hutch--Mel'sFunnyFarm

When we bought our dining room set almost 8 years ago, there wasn’t room in the budget for a matching china cabinet. I’ve come to be thankful for that, because the finish on the set was a compromise which made nobody happy.

I got by with storing my Depression Glass in a glass-front bookcase from Kmart for several years, but it really never was big enough and it was so dark inside that the beautiful colors of the glass were completely hidden.

Over the past year, I scoured thrift stores, secondhand stores and Craigslist in hopes of finding a used china cabinet that wouldn’t break the bank. A few months ago, I found one that I thought would work, but we were 120 miles from home without a vehicle to haul it. The next week, we went to the same store (this time with a pickup), and it was still there!

The former owner obviously got their money’s worth out of this cabinet. Lots of scratches, lots of wear, and the glass in one of the doors had been replaced. Basically it was worn and dated to a degree that I didn’t suffer one second of guilt for painting it.

Hutch Before

I did have a hard time deciding what color to paint the hutch. Part of me really wanted to use a bright turquoise or emerald green. In fact, both The Taterbug and The Husband were in favor of turquoise. One of these days, I’m going to find a cute little corner cupboard and do exactly that! Since this hutch was going to be the new home to various colors of Depression Glass, I decided it needed to be neutral so as not to compete with the dishes.

The paint for this project didn’t cost me anything, because I used what I already had. I painted the inside a bright glossy white so that my depression glass would show up against it. Taking the back off made the inside much easier to paint. I let the paint cure for a couple of weeks before I put the dishes away to prevent them sticking to the paint. So far, so good.

The paint for the outside was a flat grey that I had bought for the dining room, only to discover that it looked white once it was on the wall. I mixed it with water and plaster of paris to make chalk paint. On the cabinet, it’s a nice khaki/grey that contrasts nicely with the white hardware. Most of the cabinet took two coats, but a few spots needed 3 coats of paint to cover.

Hutch Progress

I sanded very lightly before applying the clear wax. I bought new pulls and knobs at Hobby Lobby. The original “flying bats” drawer pulls were flat and dated, but I kept the original hinges and backer plates for the knobs, and sprayed them and the new drawer pulls glossy white.

Hutch Empty

Hutch Full

I’m seriously thinking about dressing up the front of the doors with some plaster scrolls and roses. They seem kind of bare. what do you think?

Linking up with: Weekend Bloggy Reading

This entry was posted in Decorating, General. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to A China Cabinet of My Very Own!

1. pam seim says:

that is beautiful Mel!!!!! very good eye on the color choice.

2. igotthismartha says:

Very pretty!

3. Marie says:

I wouldn’t change a thing! The combination of white and grey/khaki is lovely. I especially love the white hardware. It looks refreshed and once again, loved.

4. Barbara says:

That’s beautiful! It looks so fresh and stylish!

5. Oh. My. Gosh. I love it! And I just happen to have a very similar sitting in the hallway in my basement. You’ve given me the courage to paint it! Thanks for sharing (saw it on Sew Darn Crafty)!

6. Kath says:

I have the exact same one… have had it for 37 years.. you have made yours beautiful.. Mine still looks brand new tho.

7. Michelle says:

Love it!! It looks so clean and fresh~

8. Toni says:

Your china cabinet is really pretty, and it sets off your dishes beautifully. Love the depression glass, too.
    Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I’d love to have a peek at your oil lamp collection if you were to post about them.

9. Mel, thanks for stopping by my blog! Love what you did with this piece. Usually I’m a fan of all things bright, but keeping it neutral really made your pretty dishes stand out. What measurements did you use to make your chalk paint? I’ve been wanting to try that!

• mel says:

Hi Katie-
      I used 1 part plaster of paris, 1 part water, and 3 parts flat latex paint. You need to make sure the flat paint is thoroughly mixed first (if you forget, the plaster and water will set up while you’re stirring the latex paint), then in a separate container, mix the plaster and water until smooth, then mix the flat paint into that.

Thanks for stopping by!

What are your thoughts?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s